Monday, November 7, 2011

A Birthday Weekend!


This past weekend was CRAZY! And I guess I could blame it on not using a calendar properly, but had I done so, I wouldn't have had near as much fun!

Matthew's birthday is actually tomorrow, so we had planned a few weeks ago to have his party the Saturday before. Also, my friend Hope's daughter is having major surgery in a few weeks, and I had planned several weeks ago to help out with a BBQ fundraiser for this. Then, we had the huge Alabama vs. LSU game (we're not a fan of either but knew this would be a fun game to watch), so Brad had invited some people over to watch the game with us. (I have to admit that I'm glad LSU won. Maybe I'm still a little bitter from the Alabama vs. Texas championship game a couple of years ago? LOL) Back to my story....Sunday a week ago was the first time that it entered my mind that I had planned all of these things for the same day. For a moment, I went into panic mode, but then I thought, "I can do this." Oh yeah, forgot to mention that my mother-in-law was driving in from Texas on Friday, but that really didn't factor into anything. She's a big help with the kids when she's around, so that was a bonus that she chose to come visit this past weekend. And, I am very happy to say that everything went off without a hitch! I cleaned my house a little each day last week, did my grocery shopping and most of the cooking on Friday, and on Saturday all I had to do was get where I needed to be and then do a few last minute things when I got home Saturday afternoon. I'm glad I didn't have a proper calendar or otherwise I might have said "no" to something, and as it turned out, there would have been no reason to. But, in all honesty, I am very thankful that the daylight savings time ended this weekend also, and I was able to get an extra hour of sleep yesterday morning! :O)




I think Matthew was a little overwhelmed with all of the attention on Saturday afternoon. We had a family party with relatives from both sides of the family attending, and he was definitely not used to that much attention. In the picture above, he was sinking further and further down into the chair as we sang "Happy Birthday," and there was no way he was going to blow out the candles when we finished, but that's okay ~ he had plenty of help.




He reminded me of the Tasmanian devil on Looney Tunes as he was opening his gifts. It was really hard to keep up, and I actually felt a little dizzy afterwards. ;>) He loved everything he received and has been quite a busy little boy playing with his new toys.







I didn't notice at the party, but in all of his pictures, his ears are bright red! I guess in the future that's how I will be able to tell if he's embarrassed, overwhelmed, etc.


*(Cari had to make an LSU t-shirt to aggravate her friend who was coming over to watch the game with us since he is a huge Alabama fan.)


So, there's a little taste of Matthew's party. You didn't see the food, but I made chili and hotdogs with all the fixings, as well as corn dogs since those are Matthew's absolute favorite food right now. I can't believe my little guy is turning 3 tomorrow. He is the sweetest little boy ever, and I'm very blessed to get several humongous hugs from him every day. I guess this is Matthew's "update" since I haven't got around to his yet. He is a huge helper around the house. Whatever I'm doing, he wants to "help." He is a very intelligent little guy and learns things so easily. Sometimes when I'm working with Amelia during school time on her U.S. map skills, if she gets stuck, she asks Matthew, and he can usually tell her. He also is very smart in regards to getting his way. He can turn his lip under and look pitiful and sad like no other child I've ever seen before. It makes it very hard to say "no" to him, and he knows that, but I'm doing my best to be strong. LOL He has a huge vocabulary - more than I think the girls did at this age - but I'm sure that comes from having three older sisters. With six people in the house, the only time it's quiet around here is when we're all asleep.

A few weeks ago, I was reading a blog (don't remember what blog it was now), but the author of the blog was requesting prayer for a friend of her's whose almost 3-year-old little boy had passed away. I assumed it was sudden because she had mentioned that she had just seen him at the library earlier that day. My mind keeps going back to that and how that mother must feel. It absolutely makes me not want to take one single day for granted with my children, and I think I've been hugging them a little tighter ever since. Words cannot express how thankful I am for each and every one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment