Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving - 2011


I had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and I hope you did, too! We had quite a busy week during our Thanksgiving break. I enjoyed having Thanksgiving at our home this year, although I did feel a bit of a panic when I woke up Wednesday morning and the realization hit that I had not yet started on anything - not even the housecleaning! I wasn't being lazy. It was mostly due to the fact that Madison plays basketball, and her team had games Monday and Tuesday and practice on Wednesday (they also had games Friday and Saturday - it's a good thing I enjoy watching basketball!).


So, after practice on Wednesday, I came home and made a list of everything I could do on that day. Before I went to bed Wednesday night, I ended up getting almost all of the food ready to be put in the oven on Thursday morning. I got up Thursday morning before everyone else did and did all of my house cleaning. I am still amazed at how smoothly everything went. And yes, I did pray for help and direction, so I really shouldn't be surprised that everything went so well! Everything went in the oven as scheduled and by the time Brad was finished frying the turkey, the meal was ready. It was a beautiful day, and I enjoyed a break from all of our busyness to just spend time with my family.


Next year, I'll probably be wondering what was on the menu the year before, so I'll make it easy on myself. Here's what we enjoyed:

Fried turkey
Dressing with gravy
Potato Salad
Sweet Potato Casserole
Broccoli Casserole
Macaroni & Cheese
Green Bean Wraps (made by Angela)
Deviled Eggs (made by Mom)
Pumpkin Rolls
Cranberry Sauce
and we always have to have olives! (I think my grandmother started this tradition.)
Strawberry Cake (made by Dad)
Pecan Pie (made by Brad)
Heath Bar Cake (made by Angela)





After we ate all that, everyone was pretty much miserable for the rest of the day. LOL

But with a little rest and relaxation, I somehow found the energy to begin my Christmas decorating.


The rest of the weekend was spent at basketball games in Rome, and then yesterday after church, I went to the mall and was able to almost complete my Christmas shopping. Today, I've been taking advantage of Cyber Monday, and I'm pretty much finished with all of my big gifts. Now that feels good!

If you were to take a look at my laundry room, you would discover one thing that I did get behind on last week, so I guess it's time to get off of here and go tackle that mountain!

2 comments:

  1. Now that's funny! I told some people you were so calm and had everything so easily under control on Thursday, I wondered how you did it since I am always a wreck when I do Thanksgiving! (Although I sure enjoy it once it's all done.)

    And I did not realize Brad made that delicious pecan pie! Although really, everything was delicious. I think you made the biggest feast ever this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ~ Glad I was able to fake it so well! Just kidding, by Thursday, everything did miraculously end up under control - now that's something to be Thankful for!

    ReplyDelete