Thursday, January 26, 2012

Funny Kids

One day, Amelia will be all grown up and act more like her big sisters, and I want to look back, read this, remember, and laugh about how she has recently turned into such a huge tattletale. And the funny thing is, she mostly tells on herself! She will not let herself get anyway with anything. Whether it's being mean to Matthew or another sibling or, like last night, just "thinking" about something that she's not supposed to do. One night last week, she came to me crying so hard that she couldn't even speak. When she finally calmed down, she was able to tell me that she thought she "might" have said a word that she should not have said. I told her it was okay and to just be very careful about what she says. She dried up, and with a look of relief, she said something like, "I feel so much better now." She has done that on a few occasions. If this continues through the teenager years, that will be awesome! haha

One of Matthew's favorite things to do right now is put together puzzles. He has one of the United States that he does all the time. He's pretty much mastered it and is doing well at naming a lot of the states, too. Last night, he was in the floor working on the puzzle, and we were watching The Weather Channel. A weather map of the states was on at the time, and he commented about how it was like his puzzle. He then started announcing the states and was sounding kind of like a weather man. I asked him if he was going to be a weather man when he grows up. He said, "No, I am going to be a school bus man." I said, "Oh, a school bus driver?" Then he said, "Nahhh. I think I'll be a dog catcher." Then it later changed to a fox catcher and then back to a dog catcher. I don't know where some of this stuff comes from, but I do know that he and Amelia are obsessed with getting a dog right now. Our little dog ran away or found a new home or something, and at the forefront of their little minds right now is getting a new dog. I guess he thinks if he's a dog catcher, he can have all the dogs he wants! ;)

These children are so much fun, and I just love spending time with them. In Madison and Cari's early years, I was so busy reading books on raising children and the "proper" way to do things that I think I missed out on a lot of the "just loving to spend time with them." I was too busy making sure they behaved and understood the rules, etc. I wish I had read a one-page book that said, "Spend time with your children and make sure they know you love them." I've learned that when you do that, there's much less need for discipline. Don't get me wrong, there is still some correcting going on, but it's much easier when they have a desire to do what is right because they know they have a parent that loves them abundantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment