Saturday, February 25, 2012

Waiting on a Dog

Amelia is about to go crazy if she does not have a dog in her possession soon. That is something she is always thinking about lately. It all started when our little dog disappeared sometime before Christmas. We have no idea what happened to him. At this point, I don't think he's coming back, so I guess it's time to start thinking about getting another one, but we're trying to be patient. In the meantime, Amelia is checking out every movie she can find at the library about dogs. She has her stuffed dogs that she pretends are real dogs, and sometimes (a lot actually) she and Matthew take turns pretending to be dogs and lead each other around the house, bring me things that they are carrying in their mouth, etc. It's really getting hilariously ridiculous.

We've been looking, and last Saturday there was an ad in the paper for a free wire haired terrier puppy. I found a picture of such a dog on-line, and that particular dog was really cute, so we went and checked out the puppy. When we arrived, what we saw was nothing like the dog I had seen on-line. This dog looked more like a wet rat with half of its hair missing. Of course, Amelia thought it was cute and that it should come home with us. (That's how desperate she is.) Then the lady told us there was a mistake in the paper and the dogs they had were available for donations and not for free because they were a rescue group. I didn't want the dog for free, much less for a donation, so we politely retreated to the van.

Yesterday, Madison and I were in Rome, and we stopped at a pet store along the way. I knew not to take Amelia, and it was a good thing I didn't. They had about 10 dogs in there, and I would have taken any of them. We played with a couple that especially caught our eyes, but we gently headed them back when we heard the price. $999. Seriously.

She then brought over a basset hound that was absolutely adorable, but it grabbed a hold of the bottom of Madison's jeans and wouldn't let go. When it finally did, it attacked my shoe strings and would not let go. Finally, the employee pried the dog off of my shoe and with its $699 price tag, we politely left that store as well - actually I was chased out by a bird, but that's a different story.

So, we continue to patiently wait on that dog that's meant for us. I told Amelia that we needed to pray for God to send just the right dog for us because, unfortunately, in the past few years we have had a lot of the wrong dogs. I could tell lots of stories about that, but I think I'll stop right here. :>)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts