Friday, May 11, 2012

Let God Judge Me

My head is literally spinning from all of the posts I have read on Facebook this past week regarding people's opinions, followed by "But don't judge me. Only God can do that." And to that, all I can think is, "Seriously?" I do not understand why people would rather God judge them. Personally, if a fellow Christian sees me doing something that is without a doubt contrary to God's word and His commands as to how I am to live and what I am to believe, than I would most definitely want them to come to me and show me in the scriptures where I am wrong - thus allowing me the opportunity to repent and avoid the judgment of God in my life.

I guess maybe some people have in mind that God is just a God of love and will be much more understanding and compassionate than silly fellow human beings. But that is so wrong. Yes, God is a God of love. But He is so much more. He is also a God of wrath.

God warned Pharaoh through His servant Moses of coming judgment if he refused to let His people go. Pharaoh refused to repent and do what was right in the eyes of God. In Exodus 6:6 we read, "Therefore say to the children of Israel: I am the Lord; I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, I will rescue you from their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great judgments." And Pharaoh and the Egyptians truly did experience great judgments.

Remember Sodom? It was an extremely wicked city, and Genesis 19:9 says, "And they said, "Stand back!" Then they said, "This one came in to stay here, and he keeps acting as a judge; now we will deal worse with you than with them." So they pressed hard against the man Lot, and came near to break down the door."

This sounds as if Lot had tried at some point to warn the people regarding their wicked ways, but as scripture teaches, they obviously did not listen. Thus, they endured the wrath of God with only Lot, his wife (until she looked back), and his two daughters being spared while the rest of the city and its inhabitants were destroyed.

There are many, many other examples in scripture where God has poured out His wrath on sinful men and women who refused to turn from their sin. There are also great days of wrath that are yet to come.

I am currently reading Radical by David Platt, and he makes some good points that I think go along with this.

The Bible describes us as enemies of God and objects of his Wrath. We are spiritually dead and eternally separated from God. What's worse is that we can do nothing to change our status before God. No one who is morally evil can choose good, no man who is a slave can set himself free, no woman who is blind can give herself sight, no one who is an object of wrath can appease that wrath, and no person who is dead can cause himself to come to life.

The gospel confronts us with the hopelessness of our sinful condition. But we don't like what we see of ourselves in the gospel, so we shrink back from it. We live in a land of self-improvement. Certainly there are steps we can take to make ourselves better. So we modify what the gospel says about us.

The modern day gospel says, "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life. Therefore, follow these steps, and you can be saved." Meanwhile, the biblical gospel says, "You are an enemy of God, dead in your sin, and in your present state of rebellion, you are not even able to see that you need life, much less to cause yourself to come to life. Therefore, you are radically dependent on God to do something in your life that you could never do.".....there is absolutely nothing we can do to come to him.....God has to open our eyes, set us free, overcome our evil, and appease his wrath. He has to come to us.

Now we are getting to the beauty of the gospel.

I am so thankful that God did come to me and open my eyes and set me free. The wrath of God is truly something none of us should want to or ask to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment