Friday, June 15, 2012

Draw Me Nearer

The song on my heart right now ~~~

For your nearness Lord I hunger
For your nearness Lord I wait
Hold me ever closer Father
Such a love I can’t escape

For your nearness I am hoping
For your nearness Lord I long
Have no need of any other
I have found where I belong

So draw me nearer Lord
Never let me go
Closer to your heart
Draw me nearer Lord

~~~Meredith Andrews


My goal for yesterday: Do not say anything negative.

This was going well until oh, I would say around 3:30 - when a bad attitude completely caught me off guard.

For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. Galatians 5:17

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22, 23

The whole self-control thing just flew out the window. And it grieved me. Even still this morning even though I had asked forgiveness from the one who was the object of my "lack of self-control" (i.e. my flesh that so needs to be crucified/put to death).

The phrase crucifying the flesh is not exactly a friendly, appealing group of words....He wants us to know that His gift of the Holy Spirit is really not for our own pleasure or purposes. The Spirit is meant to lead us toward holiness. The Spirit is here with us to accomplish God's purposes, not ours.

When you decide to put to death - to crucify - your flesh, you are by default choosing the way of the Spirit. You are leaving one path and joining another. The new path of walking with the Spirit will undoubtedly have its share of twists and turns. At forks in the trail, you, at times, choose to follow the desires of your flesh, even though you left that path long ago. ~~~ Francis Chan

I definitely went down the wrong path, but as I continue reading, praying, thinking, I realize that love is the first fruit listed. Can I display the other fruits if I don't have that one? Is that what is missing? A deep love? Most of all for God? So much that it overflows out of my heart into the lives of others. Can there be room for those "works of the flesh" if my heart is that full?

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. (3:16-19 NIV)

And to that I say, let's try this again today.

And I pray, Lord, please fill my heart with so much love and joy, most of all a great love for You!, so that it spills out of my heart and into the lives of others. I know I cannot do this on my own.

In your nearness there is healing
What was broken now made whole
Restoration in its fullness
Lasting hope for all who come

So draw me nearer Lord
Never let me go
Closer to your heart
Draw me nearer Lord


~Amen~

DRAW ME NEARER - MEREDITH ANDREWS - click here to listen

No comments:

Post a Comment