Monday, January 28, 2013

Menu Plan Monday


It's been a while since I've participated in Menu Plan Monday, so I think it's about time to get involved again.  Here's my plan for this week:

Sunday - Spaghetti, crescent rolls >> I tried to pep up my sauce a bit with some fresh vegs, so as I was browning the meat, I added in chopped fresh mushrooms, red bell pepper, and onions along with a variety of spices from my spice cabinet.  For the sauce, I used Harvest Farms Organic sauce, which is one of the cheaper brands at Ingles, usually around $2/jar, and I think that's a great deal for anything organic.  I opened up a can of Immaculate crescent rolls to serve with the main course.  If you have not tried the Immaculate products, you do not know what you are missing!  These are "non-GMO, overall good ingredients" kind of products.  (I've also tried the cinnamon rolls, and they are amazing and HUGE!  There's five in a can, but they're about twice the size of a regular canned cinnamon roll.  They also have ready-to-bake cookies that are a big hit around here as well.)

Monday  - Crockpot chicken fajitas >> Place 1.5 to 2 lbs. of chicken (beef may be used as well) in slow cooker.  Top with thinly sliced onion and bell pepper (I usually use green, but this week I'm trying it with red and yellow).  In a small bowl, combine one clove of garlic, 2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/4 c. olive oil,  and 1 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice.  Pour mixture over chicken, peppers, and onions.  Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.  Serve in warmed tortillas and top with freshly grated sharp cheddar, sour cream, and homemade guacamole. Yum! - one of my favorite meals.

Tuesday  - Beans and Rice. >> Johnsonville sausage was on sale last week, and I had a coupon!, so that's what led to this being on the menu.  When cooking beans and rice on a night when I don't have time to start from scratch, which will be the case tonight, I like to use:  Nueva Cocina Red Beans & Rice mix.  It's 100% natural and has no MSG.  I usually cook a cup of brown rice and add it to the mixture so there will be enough for this crew.  I slice up the sausage - using Andouille this time - and throw it in while the mixture is cooking.

Wednesday  - Chicken legs, baked sweet potatoes, macaroni and cheese, black-eyed peas.  Except for the black-eyed peas, this will be an organic meal since Ingles had organic chicken legs on sale, as well as sweet potatoes, last week!

Thursday - French toast and scrambled eggs.  French bread sliced and dipped in a mixture of one can of evaporated milk and two eggs and then cooked in butter on griddle until slightly brown on both sides - served with Agave nectar as a syrup and scrambled eggs on the side. 

Fridays and Saturdays tend to be crazy days around here, so I don't usually plan for anything official for those days.

Thanks for looking!  For more meal plans, visit The Organizing Junkie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts