Friday, January 31, 2014

Snow Days

On Sunday, I made a statement to a friend without giving it much thought - or seeing the weather prediction for the upcoming week.  I said, "If it's going to be this cold, I wish it would just go ahead and snow."  And that's exactly what happened!

Early Monday morning, I received a weather update on my phone from the Weather Channel alerting me to a winter weather advisory.  Several hours later, it became a winter weather warning.

Tuesday morning, Madison was hoping school would be cancelled, but it wasn't, so off she went, and soon after Brad was out the door and headed to UPS. 

Snow was predicted to start falling around 9 a.m., and that prediction was not too far off.  I heard the door open at 10:15, and Madison was walking in as they told the students that drove to school to go home immediately.  Thankfully, she did just that because a lot of kiddos were stuck at the school for a long time because it all hit so quickly and the roads got slick so fast that the buses were unable to run and parents were having a hard time getting there!

Brad finally started trying to get home sometime after 12 and made it home around 4 - about three or so hours longer than it normally would have taken.

I know many people in the area did not make it home until much later the next day - even having to spend the night on the interstate - so I am very thankful that everyone here made it home when they did.

My homeschool crew quickly finished their work for the day and headed on out.  The first day was very exciting, the second day was fun, the third day was okay, and today on day four - we need to go somewhere!  :>D  It was fun while it lasted, and being forced to stay home and slow down is a good thing, too, I think. 

Another thing to be thankful for is no power outages!  A warm home and the ability to cook is a huge plus when it's super cold outside!  It's supposed to get into the 50s temperature-wise here today, so hopefully the icy road conditions are over for now because I must make it to the grocery store today as we have certainly done our share of cooking and eating during all of this!  We've enjoyed snow ice cream, lots of hot chocolate, vegetable soup and cornbread, popcorn, homemade M&M cookies, Rotel dip & chips, etc., etc.  No one has gone hungry here during this winter storm!

So thankful for all of the Lord's protections this week and always - and for all of the blessings and fun memories!

Annabelle always has to get in on the act.

I think Missy just wanted it all to go away.




Three of the four kiddos.  Madison did come out eventually, but I think I was inside at that point.  She saved her fun for the next day when some friends came by and picked her up in their Polaris.






Yesterday when the temps went up and the snow started melting a bit, we were able to quickly throw together some snowmen.  They're a little dirty, but I'm sure they're just happy to be here.  ;>)

1 comment:

  1. Wish we'd been there to enjoy some of your cooking! ;)

    ReplyDelete