Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Cynicism

I may not always know what I want or what I want to be when I grow up ;>), but I've recently realized something/someone I don't want to be.....

The opposite of a childlike spirit is a cynical spirit.

Cynicism begins with the wry assurance that everyone has an angle.  Behind every silver lining is a cloud.  The cynic is always observing, critiquing, but never engaged, loving, and hoping.

It protects you from crushing disappointment, but it paralyzes you from doing anything.

To be cynical is to be distant.  While offering a false intimacy of being "in the know," cynicism actually destroys intimacy.  It leads to a creeping bitterness that can deaden and even destroy the spirit.

Cynics imagine they are disinterested observers on a quest for authenticity.  They assume they are humble because they offer nothing.  In fact, they feel deeply superior because they think they see through everything.

Cynicism looks in the wrong direction.  It looks for the cracks in Christianity instead of looking for the presence of Jesus.

The above are quotes from a book I'm reading right now.  A Praying Life by Paul Miller.

A cynic.  The word itself just dampens my spirit.  Nope, I do not want to be one of those.

Cures for cynicism........

Matthew 18:2-4
And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Phillipians 4:6
In everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

Colossians 4:2
Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.

Humbleness.

Praying with a childlike faith.

Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment