Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Other Side of the Coin

I had to laugh when I went back and read last Friday's post and the fretting over doughnuts.  It is quite funny how things can look different on a new day.  You can chalk it up to hormones or whatever, but bottom line, I think our humanness allows us to find too many ways to let little (and big) things steal our joy in Christ.

Lest I painted a bad picture of Aunt Jane, I must post a disclaimer.  Aunt Jane is who she is and that's just a fact that is not going to change, and she is definitely not a bad person.  The best way to describe her is a child trapped inside a 60-something-year-old body. 

It's definitely a learning and growing process to live with someone who is different, and I have to say it's a small price to pay in exchange for the generosity my dad is graciously showing our family right now in allowing us to stay here.

As I pondered over the things that were getting under my skin last Friday, I also prayed about some solutions.  One of the biggest problem solvers, which I knew already but chose to ignore, is to just not speak about it.  I've found that when I keep things like that to myself, the next day it is usually no big deal at all and there's no one to bring it up later to remind me.

As for the kids-playing-sports annoyances, I was convicted about my attitude in that area.  It was brought to my mind that if I'm loving on Matthew and encouraging and cheering for him while he's playing no matter where he's playing or how he's being coached, nothing else really matters.  I decided to experiment with that at his game this past Tuesday, and I believe it was successful.  It was so nice to come home happy.  It's not like we're waiting on his letter from the Atlanta Braves recruitment staff (although, as you will see in the picture below, he's already playing for the Braves, so no need for any letter).  I also came to the conclusion that if it's God's plan for him to do well in this sport, he'll do so in spite of his circumstances.  If it's part of the plan that we do this for fun and recreation only, then that's okay, too.

I love cheering for this little cutie!  He did get a hit and got on base by the way. :)

On another note in regards to that post I keep referring back to, I am getting anxious to get started on our new home.  For the past couple of months, we've been going over and over what we want to do.  We've looked at manufactured homes because we thought that would be easier and quicker, and we were real close to going that route.  But after all the additions we made to make it look like a stick-built house, the price became higher than what we could possibly build a reasonable-size house for, so we've decided against that.  Then we had to start looking through house plans.  Lots of house plans.  We ended up going back to two that I had printed out in years past - one in 2006 and one in 2013.  We're meeting with a friend of ours who is an architect this weekend to get started on the final design process, and I am so excited about that!

We've had the land tested for soil drainage, etc., to make sure it is a build-able lot, and that has passed the test.  Next we have to do the survey, and with the house plans complete, we should be ready to go! I'll definitely be blogging about the process along the way. :>)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts